RE: [Videolib] Nothing about videos in ALA's State of

Deborah Benrubi (benrubi@usfca.edu)
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:49:16 -0700

I think people are working with two different meanings of "video" here. I
think of videos as either DVD or VHS but some people think only VHS are
"videos" and DVDs are something else.

As I understand it the issue is that the ALA report does not address moving
image recordings in any format whether DVD, VHS, or other.

At 02:43 PM 4/23/2007 -0700, Gary Handman wrote:
>Beg to differ (as someone who's been around since Edison cranked his first
>kinetoscope): ALA's decision (or oversight) is based on the fact that,
>despite
>the cultural and cognitive revolutions brought on by moving image technology,
>ALA and libraries in general still "don't get it" The container of the
>medium--
>it's form and format--are completely beside the point. The real issue
>centers
>around much more fundamental biases and misconceptions and downright myopia
>about the moving images that prevade libraries and library organizations.
>Exclusion of "VIDEO" from ALA's report is no more pathetic than the shabby
>way
>in which moving images continue to be treated in most libraries (both
>academic
>and public).
>
>The fact is, we're living in a post-print society. Insitutions that don't
>catch
>on to the fact are doomed to be marginalized or shut down completely.
>
>Gary Handman
>

>Quoting Amanda Ros <tsav@jgrls.org>:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Videos continue to circulate at a fairly steady pace in 7 of our 8
> > branches. While we are not purchasing videos, patrons are donating them
> > left and right--presumably because they are replacing them with DVD's or
> > their kids have outgrown the cartoons.
> >
> > ALA's decision to exclude VHS appears to me to be a response to the fact
> > the VHS is a dying media. It is getting more and more difficult to find
> > VHS supplies from our vendors. But, given that libraries still carry
> > videos, I think that they should consider addressing them.
> >
> > I'm curious though. How many of your libraries still have VHS
> > collections? Are you (the powers that be) considering dumping the
> > collection? If your library doesn't carry VHS but did at 1 time, how
> > long ago did you get rid of your VHS collection?
> >
> > Amanda Ros
> > AV Cataloger
> > Jackson-George Regional Library
> > tsav@jgrls.org

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>