RE: [Videolib] Nothing about videos in ALA's State of Libraries report?

Amanda Ros (tsav@jgrls.org)
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:03:21 -0500

Mike,

Videos continue to circulate at a fairly steady pace in 7 of our 8
branches. While we are not purchasing videos, patrons are donating them
left and right--presumably because they are replacing them with DVD's or
their kids have outgrown the cartoons.

ALA's decision to exclude VHS appears to me to be a response to the fact
the VHS is a dying media. It is getting more and more difficult to find
VHS supplies from our vendors. But, given that libraries still carry
videos, I think that they should consider addressing them.

I'm curious though. How many of your libraries still have VHS
collections? Are you (the powers that be) considering dumping the
collection? If your library doesn't carry VHS but did at 1 time, how
long ago did you get rid of your VHS collection?

Amanda Ros
AV Cataloger
Jackson-George Regional Library
tsav@jgrls.org