RE: [Videolib] Feature Film Scenes re: Food / Counseling

Gena Zelenka (gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us)
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:37:29 -0500

How about THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER? Haha. Or DINNER
RUSH? LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE? CHOCOLAT w/Johnny Depp?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John Holland
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:42 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Feature Film Scenes re: Food / Counseling

Babette's Feast - the redemptive power of good food (and a lot of ritual
about wines and courses to go with it)

Tom Jones - food as seduction

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and Gormenghast - dining rituals
carried to surreal extremes

The Man who Knew Too Much (1956) - Jimmy Stewart practically creates an
international incident by using his left (I think) hand to eat in the
hotel restaurant in Marrakech

Also - Isn't the "glowing glass of milk" in Suspicion, with Cary Grant
carrying it up a winding staicase to the distraught Joan Fontaine,
rather than Notorious?

John Holland
Librarian, Popular Library
Harold Washington Library Center