Re: RE: [Videolib] Feature Film stereotyped single woman

Bonnie Brown (bonnie.brown@nyu.edu)
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:12:09 -0400

This came to mind:

Plot summary for
The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996)
advertisement Janeane Garofalo plays Dr. Abby Barnes, the "Truth About Cats and Dogs" radio question-and-answer show host who unwittingly entices a listener over the radio with her soothing voice and personality. This listener, Brian, tries to meet the Abby from the radio, but Noelle, played by Uma Thurman, is mistaken for the real thing when Brian comes to the studio. Instead of clearing things up right away, the self-conscious Abby allows her best friend, Noelle, a tall, stunning blonde, to take her place for a while. Abby takes on the made-up persona of Donna, while thinking Brian would never go for her, a short, cute, brunette, who thinks she's unattractive. As the real Abby woos Brian over the phone and radio, Noelle, the pseudo-Abby, takes her place in the flesh. As time goes on, Abby feels more and more confident that Brian would rather have the beautiful Noelle than the simply attractive Abby. Written by Joelsef {joelsef@geocities.com}

OR
Joan Cusak was in a movie that seems to fit the bill:

Plot summary for
He Said, She Said (1991)
advertisement Dan and Lorie are journalists working in the same office. More often than not they have opposing view of the issue in question. Deciding that this is hot stuff, a television producer gives them their own program (called "He Said, She Said") where they can give their opposing views on various issues. As they work together and get to know one another, the events that occur in their lives are replayed in the film twice; once from each's perspective. Written by Murray Chapman {muzzle@cs.uq.oz.au}

Womanising, right-wing Dan Hanson and quiet, liberal Lorie Bryer work for the Baltimore Sun. Rivals for the job of new writer of a vacant column, the paper ends up instead printing their very different opinions alongside each other, which leads to a similarly combative local TV show. At the same time their initial indifference to each other looks like it may evolve into something more romantic. If only they can agree. Written by Jeremy Perkins {jwp@aber.ac.uk}

Not sure about either one but they came to mind.

Bonnie Brown
New York University
Bobst Library