Re: [Videolib] Buying at individual vs institutional price?

Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:00:23 -0700

--=====================_74472406==.ALT

Grumble and pay up.

If I'm in a particularly snitty mood that day, I'll call up and chew out
the distributor for spreading disinformation and practicing shoddy
business...I rant on about not needing performance rights...Increasingly,
the people who answer the fulfillment lines are totally clueless and could
care less about the whole issue...

gary

At 12:39 PM 3/29/2007, you wrote:
> [...]
>>think it's the ethical thing to do to pony up for the higher price. This
>>has been a real problem in the past: e.g. Arab Film Distribution used to
>>sell home video thru Facets, but their own website indicated both
>>institutional and home video prices. Since I like these guys and want to
>>see them stay in business, I generally bought through their web
>>site...but I could have just as easily gone the Facets route.
>>
>>Don't let anyone sell you performance rights you don't need. It really
>>pisses me off when certain distributors justify their higher prices for
>>institutions by waving the performance rights banner. Fact is, they're
>>generally charging higher prices because they can get it from institutions.
>>
>>Gary Handman
>>

>>At 11:36 AM 3/29/2007, you wrote:
>>>Would it be illegal and/or unethical for a library to try to buy a DVD at
>>>a lower individual price rather than a higher institutional price, for
>>>example
>>>by claiming that the DVD will be for individual use only or by reimbursing
>>>an individual staff member for a DVD purchased privately at an individual
>>>price, especially if the library does not want PPR?
>>>

>>>Thanks for any suggestions.
>>>

>>>Mike in Dubuque
>>>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of
>>>issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>>>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
>>>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve
>>>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel
>>>of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
>>>producers and distributors.
>>
>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley
>><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life
>>presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
>>
>>--Guy Debord
>>

>>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of
>>issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
>>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve
>>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel
>>of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
>>producers and distributors.
>

>--
>Merle J.
>Slyhoff E-mail:
><mailto:mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu>mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu
>Collection Development/ Voice: 215-898-9013
>Document Delivery Services Fax: 215-898-6619

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord