[Videolib] RE: academic libraries - media on open shelves

Jen Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:48:58 -0700

------_=_NextPart_23811_00028703.00009894

Hi Joanna,

We put some of our collection out in open stacks when I was first hired
here. Haven't done an inventory this year yet, but last inventory we
found that less than 1% of our videos had disappeared since putting them
out. The collection really gets a workout! Even the stuff I wouldn't
have figured on. About half of our collection is available for checkout.
We don't use the 3m security strips - we keep the DVD in a filed
alphabetically in a Tyvek envelope behind the counter, with a title
label and a barcode, and put the box out. I buy titles for the open
collection mostly to supplement different subject areas. Lots of popular
science, history (science, medicine and humanities, biographies),
languages, international and feature films. Anything rare, requested for
instruction, over $100 to purchase, or used by more than one class goes
in the closed stacks.

-jen

Jen Stutesman

Walla Walla Community College