[Videolib] Re: Playaways

Marsha Loyer (m.loyer@mphpl.org)
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:32:52 -0500

--=====================_18675171==.ALT

We have had our Playaways circulation for about 1 month. We have had
tremedous success with the first 25 titles that we purchased. We have
already turned in our second order for 25 more. Our only problem that we
have found is that we did not make them a separate format (some intelligent
cataloger thought this one up) and they are difficult to do a limit sort in
the on-line catalog if you don't know to search by call number.
We circ them just like any audiobook for 3 weeks. We currently are
providing the earbuds and a new battery with each circ. With the tax cuts
in Indiana we will soon be doing some kind of charging for the earbuds
and/or the battery.
Mishawaka is a medium-sized public library.
At 09:21 AM 3/20/2007, you wrote:

>I know that this is a video format list, but as many of us are involved
>with multiple non-print formats, I thought I'd ask my question here, as
>I'd probably get more response than if I posted to Autocat.
>
>We just bought some Playaway digital audio books to try out for
>circulation. Have any of you started circulating these or similar
>self-contained audio books with players? If so, what type of response
>have you gotten from patrons and/or staff? From a cataloging perspective
>I don't think it will be much different, but we'd appreciate any feedback
>given.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Amanda Ros
>
>AV Cataloger