RE: RE: [Videolib] Digital Video Licensing[Scanned]

Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:43:11 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_009B_01C761A0.DC812020

Well, to go back to Gary's reference to me in his point E) - new films are
continuously being added to our collections, in the case of FRIF over 60
last year.

If you all were paying a yearly license to access FRIF's entire collection,
(as a hypothetical) or even just say our "Anthropology" collection subset,
the size of the database you would have access to WOULD be going up each
year (every year we add more films than we loose the rights to).

As for "in perpetuity" - would this include the right to transcode or change
the file format? If I license you the use of a MPEG 2 file "in perpetuity"
are you then permitted to make a MPEG 4 or Quicktime 55 or whatever comes
down the road in 10 years?

Are you allowed to make how many copies of it on how many devises (every
student's iPOD)?

Also, keep in mind, the terminology "leased for the life of the
print/tape/DVD" etc exists for a reason. Most films in distribution - the
distributor does NOT own, or control the copyright, or have any rights to
that film "in perpetuity".

Jonathan Miller, President
First Run/Icarus Films, Inc.
32 Court Street, 21st Floor