Re: RE: [Videolib] Digital Video Licensing[Scanned]

Vicki Lee Woods (woodsvic@webster.edu)
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:10:55 -0600 (CST)

I'd worry about what happens when a title isn't downloaded and as often
as the vendor thinks is necessary to continue to "stock it" so to
speak. Not to mention all the titles that will never make it into the
library because there just isn't that much demand for them; such as
works by Alan Berliner or Craig Baldwin, etc. I also have a fear that
VOD vendors would/could monitor what each institution is downloading
and charge premium rates for those titles that are most used,
essentially holding institutions hostage for higher rates.

All of what you said, Gary, makes perfect sense to me and needs to be
thought through very carefully. I don't think it's likely that any of
the distributors will offer a one-time fee; they're clearly modeling
their distribution plans on cable networks and ejournals. But as you
pointed out, ejournals are continously being written. Perhaps some sort
of plan that would include a tangible copy of the title (for those who
don't want to learn the new technology) as well as VOD might work for
the near future.

Vicki Woods
Assistant Branch Manager, St. Louis Public Library
Former Film Programmer of the Webster Film Series

Name: Mark W Kopp.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Encoding: base64