RE: [Videolib] Fw: Request for cost figures for cleaning DVDs--2n

Pasteur, Eric (EricPasteur@ppl.peoria.lib.il.us)
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:39:47 -0600

Amy,

Many, many libraries use disc repair products, be it is RTI or others, and
they are of varying quality. I have used RTI products (Eco Jr, etc.) in a
few settings, and they are very effective.

The question of whether discs are able to be repaired depends upon the
extent and kind of damage. If the disc has minor surface scratches on the
read side of the disc (the side that is "read" by the player's laser), it is
almost guaranteed that these repair products will do the trick. If, on the
other hand, there is severe damage such as a deep scratch, or damage to the
protective layer on the non-read side of the disc, then the likelihood of
repair is significantly reduced.

Most repair systems are based on the same concept: remove very small layers
of the disc surface until the offending blemish is obliterated. Since the
physical depth of discs (and they vary from type of disc--DVD, music CD,
book on CD, CD-R, etc.) is very shallow, only so much of the surface
material can be removed before it will begin to damage the digital
information stored on the disc...which explains why the severity of damage
will determine the chances of success.

Hope this helps!

Eric
Eric Pasteur
Reference Services
Peoria Public Library
Peoria IL 61602
Tel 309.497.2145
Fax 309.674.0116
ericpasteur@ppl.peoria.lib.il.us
"Art is a lie which makes you realize the truth."
--Pablo Picasso