RE: [Videolib] Fw: Request for cost figures for cleaning DVDs--2nd post

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:32:09 -0600

Sad. Not exactly an LRC in the know...

After reading Jim's article, comparing costs for purchase of DVD
cleaning equipment & staff time, we opted to send DVDs and CDs out to
one of the disc cleaning services, such as Rubberdisc, for the few
problem discs that we have.

Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State
University-Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Amy
Stewart-Mailhiot
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 2:36 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Fw: Request for cost figures for cleaning
DVDs--2nd post

This brings up a question that we've been batting around here - how
many libraries perform this kind of cleaning/fixing of DVDs? When
we inherited the video collection from the campus Learning Resource
Center a few years back, the person there told us that there was
'nothing to be done' for damaged DVDs. Given the responses to
Karen's question, thus far, that seems incorrect. I will, of
course, find James' article, but in the mean time thought I'd try
to get a sense of whether or not we are the only library in the
country just tossing out damaged items.

Thanks,
Amy

---------------------------------------