Re: [Videolib] FW: Library of Congress, DVD encryption &

Mon, 05 Mar 2007 08:15:58 -0800

--=====================_606018421==.ALT

<http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/blogs/mrc.php/2006/11/28/professors_and_librarians_win_narrow_exe>Professors
and Librarians Win Narrow Exemptions to Rules in Digital Copyright Act

The U.S. Copyright Office has issued a handful of exemptions to the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act that may benefit media professors, archivists, and
other academics. Under certain circumstances, they will now be allowed to
circumvent access-control technologies on various electronic media.

Under one of the six exemptions, all of which will expire after three
years, professors of film and media studies can circumvent the
access-control technology of DVD's in their libraries to use clips of films
more easily in class.

<http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/11/2006112801t.htm?rss>Full Chronicle of
Higher Education<http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/11/2006112801t.htm?rss>
article
http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/11/2006112801t.htm?rss

<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6545255&sc=emaf>Podcast
of NPR All Things
Considered<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6545255&sc=emaf>
program on the new ruling
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6545255&sc=emaf

<http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20061800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/E6-20029.htm>Text
of full ruling

At 07:50 AM 3/5/2007, you wrote:

>I received this email from a faculty member (who received it from faculty
>of another institution) after a discussion of copyright issues pertaining
>to DVDs. I am aware of the iPod decision mentioned but am not at all
>familiar with the supposed decision that I have bolded below.
>
>Can anyone confirm this claim? I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.
>

>Dennis
>
>-------------------
>Dennis McGuire
>Head of Digital and Media Services
>Columbia College Chicago Library
>624 S. Michigan Ave.
>Chicago, IL 60605
>(v) 312.344.7434
>(f) 312.344.8062

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

--=====================_606018421==.ALT

Professors and Librarians Win Narrow Exemptions to Rules in Digital Copyright Act

The U.S. Copyright Office has issued a handful of exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that may benefit media professors, archivists, and other academics. Under certain circumstances, they will now be allowed to circumvent access-control technologies on various electronic media.

Under one of the six exemptions, all of which will expire after three years, professors of film and media studies can circumvent the access-control technology of DVD's in their libraries to use clips of films more easily in class.

Full Chronicle of Higher Education article
http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/11/2006112801t.htm?rss

Podcast of NPR All Things Considered program on the new ruling
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6545255&sc=emaf

Text of full ruling

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:24:06 -0600

[...]

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."

--Guy Debord