Re: [Videolib] HOLY GHOST PEOPLE

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:16:37 -0500

Well even though we disagree on the details of this Micheal
I didn't not see how this applied here even under your generous definition.
Because unless I missed something the person posting never owned any copy of
this item. I don't think even you claim you can make a copy of something you
don't own but again maybe I missed that part.

However this appears to be moot here as it seems as if the item is being
treated as if it was PD in which case that would be irrelevant.

I just freak out a bit when someone suggests 108 for duping something they
never had at all.

On 2/27/07 4:49 PM, "Brewer, Michael" <brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I thought we'd covered this before but....
>
> According to Section 108, if a library/archive owns/owned a copy of an
> item that is no longer available on the market in an unused copy at a
> reasonable price, they may make a copy of that copy (or of another legal
> copy to replace that copy) if their copy has been lost, stolen, damaged,
> is deteriorating or is in an obsolete format.
>
> It looks like in this case the copies are deteriorating and the title is
> not available in an unused copy. Thus, as Gary states, it is a perfect
> candidate for a Section 108 exemption to the exclusive rights of the
> copyright holder. Legally the library could make an analog copy or a
> digital copy, but were they to make a digital copy, according to 108, it
> should not be made available to the public outside of the library or
> archives.
>
> mb
>
> Michael Brewer
>
> Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian
>
> University of Arizona Library
>
> brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

>>> 919/ 513-1108 fax