RE: [Videolib] HOLY GHOST PEOPLE

Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:49:47 -0700

I thought we'd covered this before but....

According to Section 108, if a library/archive owns/owned a copy of an
item that is no longer available on the market in an unused copy at a
reasonable price, they may make a copy of that copy (or of another legal
copy to replace that copy) if their copy has been lost, stolen, damaged,
is deteriorating or is in an obsolete format.

It looks like in this case the copies are deteriorating and the title is
not available in an unused copy. Thus, as Gary states, it is a perfect
candidate for a Section 108 exemption to the exclusive rights of the
copyright holder. Legally the library could make an analog copy or a
digital copy, but were they to make a digital copy, according to 108, it
should not be made available to the public outside of the library or
archives.

mb

Michael Brewer

University of Arizona Library