Re: [Videolib] Question about copyright for "Mystic Spirits" DVD

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:05:37 -0500

Add it if you want to as long as it looks like a "real" DVD and not
someone's private home made copy
Right of first sale gives you the right to loan it and nothing written on
the DVD can make it otherwise.

On 2/20/07 7:44 PM, "Renee Zurn" <rzurn@duluth.lib.mn.us> wrote:

> Hello Copyright Masters!
>
> We have had the DVD "Mystic Spirits" donated to the library. It is a
> disc of music performances. The copyright warning reads " Warning: The
> copyright proprietors have licensed the cinematography, film, sound
> recordings and packaging artwork contained in this video device for
> private home use only. All other rights are reserved. Any unauthorized
> use including but not limited to copying, editing, lending, exchanging,
> renting, firing, exhibiting, public performances, radio or television
> broadcastings or any other diffusion, or otherwise dealing with this
> video device or any part thereof is strictly prohibited."
>
> As a public library we routinely catalog and lend home use movies. Is
> this copyright different due to the wording that mentions lending and
> renting? Shall we add it to our collection or do we need to toss it?
> Can we sell it at our Friends booksale?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
> Renee
>
> Renee Zurn