Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:22:46 -0800

--Apple-Mail-3-411437907
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

Here at SFSU Academic Technology is the centralized audio/visual
distribution center for the University, we handle equipment and media
requests. The problem remains the same, though - any institution must
keep resources (media or equipment) where the knowledge is.

Sending the equipment to individual departments means when something
breaks, nobody knows how to fix it or where to get a replacement,
much less where to get it for the best price.

I spend a fair amount of my time explaining to all sorts of people,
including librarians who should know better, that we can't copy
media, including copying it to a server, without copyright
permission. After decades of turning down faculty requests to 'make
just one copy for me' our equipment people are getting pretty good at
copyright law, too.

Oh yeah, and it's nice to be part of a department where purchases
(like video projectors for classrooms) usually come in thousands of
dollars. Turn the cost of one video projector over to me, and I can
make so many faculty members happy...

I respect the equipment people, they respect me, and the faculty gets
what they want, when they want it, if it is at all possible.

Knowledge, budget, respect. That's how it works.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Jeanne Little wrote:

> [...]
> 8mm, laser, beta, u-matic) and what I had then was the monstrous
> job of trying to determine what were legal vhs titles! (We are
> talking over 2,000+ titles). It took me almost 5 years to wade my
> way through the majority of these titles, and I still have boxes
> left to verify. Talk about an eye-opening experience! I learned
> more about copyright than I ever dreamed possible! LOL
>
> IT Departments are very knowledgeable in the delivery of content,
> but when copyright is involved...
>
> Jeanne Little
>
> Rick Faaberg wrote:
>> On 10/4/06 9:09 AM "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu>
>> sent this
>> out:
>>

>>> It is always exciting here at Emerson. Fresh back from the Media
>>> Market (it
>>> was great meeting so many videolibbers in person) I was told that
>>> our
>>> film/video collection may be administered by IT rather than the
>>> Library,
>>> because they want to make the collection "on demand." Not sure
>>> whether this
>>> refers to a centralized distribution center or whether to
>>> streaming--I am not
>>> included in the preliminary discussions (!)
>>> My questions:
>>> have any other college/university film/video collections been
>>> "moved" to IT
>>> departments?
>>> do any other college/universities offer their nonprint
>>> collections "on
>>> demand"?
>>>
>> I feel that it is a *major* mistake to assign media content to the IT
>> department.
>>
>> IT departments are never about content, only delivery. And that's
>> just fine,
>> when you need delivery of content via the IT network.
>>
>> Resist any such move with all your best efforts. IT taking over media
>> content is death of your program.
>>
>> I am a case in point. My program was assigned to the IT department
>> and the
>> media program was killed within a couple of years. I continue to
>> witness the
>> death online (my position was eliminated by the way) and it's so
>> sad to see.
>>
>> Do not let IT take over your media program. Have them manage the
>> streaming
>> or whatever but do NOT let them take over content management.
>>
>> Sigh
>>
>> Rick Faaberg
>>
>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
>> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
>> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of
>> current and evolving video formats in libraries and related
>> institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective
>> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>> communication between libraries,educational institutions, and

--Apple-Mail-3-411437907

Here at SFSU Academic Technology = is the centralized audio/visual distribution center for the University, = we handle equipment and media requests. The problem remains the same, = though - any institution must keep resources (media or equipment) where = the knowledge is.

Sending the equipment to = individual departments means when something breaks, nobody knows how to = fix it or where to get a replacement, much less where to get it for the = best price.

I = spend a fair amount of my time explaining to all sorts of people, = including librarians who should know better, that we can't copy media, = including copying it to a server, without copyright permission.=A0After = decades of turning down faculty requests to 'make just one copy for me' = our equipment people are getting pretty good at copyright law, = too.

Oh yeah, = and it's nice to be part of a department where purchases (like video = projectors for classrooms) usually come in thousands of dollars. Turn = the cost of one video projector over to me, and I can make so many = faculty members happy...

I respect the equipment = people, they respect me, and the faculty gets what they want, when they = want it, if it is at all possible.=A0

Knowledge, budget, respect. = That's how it works.

Brigid = Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San = Francisco State University
San = Francisco, CA=A0 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

Rick = Faaberg wrote:
[...]

=
<jeanne.little.vcf>

= --Apple-Mail-3-411437907-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.