Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:13:03 -0800

--=====================_536699593==.ALT

The confusion of library and campus administrative types between content
and delivery has been going on for some time. The advent of learning
management systems has only served to muddy these waters. I think it's
pretty interesting, but not surprising, that many of the commercial online
video systems guys are pitching primarily to campus IT rather than
libraries.

Handing the keys of video collections and services over to IT is a fatal
mistake, in my book (even if we could turn everying into VOD). The
intellectual culture and intellectual stake of IT operations is
substantively different from those of libraries. The relationship of IT
shops to faculty is different. The budget priorities are different. The
interest in long-term preservation of intellectual property is
different. The commitment to broad-based access is different.

If it were me, I'd be going to the battlements with both guns blazing and a
posse of faculty supporters behind me.

Gary

fAt 05:58 AM 2/20/2007, you wrote:

> [...]
>our IT dept to make it happen. I can't imagine how some of our faculty
>would react if the suddenly had to learn a new way of dealing with their
>video materials. All I know is it wouldn't be pretty.
>
>I agree with Rick that this is worth fighting over. Content decisions
>really need to stay with the library.
>
>Best of luck,
>Tom
>
>______________________
>Thomas A. Ipri, MS
>Media Services Librarian
>
>Connelly Library
>La Salle University
>1900 West Olney Avenue
>Philadelphia, PA 19141
>215-951-1965
>ipri@lasalle.edu
>http://www.lasalle.edu/library
>http://tombrarian.wordpress.com
>

>Rick Faaberg <rfaaberg@comcast.net>
>Sent by: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>
>02/20/2007 04:12 AM
>Please respond to
>videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

>Videolib List <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
>cc
>Subject
>Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!
>

>On 10/4/06 9:09 AM "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> sent this
>out:
>
> > It is always exciting here at Emerson. Fresh back from the Media
> Market (it
> > was great meeting so many videolibbers in person) I was told that our
> > film/video collection may be administered by IT rather than the Library,
> > because they want to make the collection "on demand." Not sure whether
> this
> > refers to a centralized distribution center or whether to streaming--I
> am not
> > included in the preliminary discussions (!)
> > My questions:
> > have any other college/university film/video collections been "moved" to IT
> > departments?
> > do any other college/universities offer their nonprint collections "on
> > demand"?
>
>I feel that it is a *major* mistake to assign media content to the IT
>department.
>
>IT departments are never about content, only delivery. And that's just fine,
>when you need delivery of content via the IT network.
>
>Resist any such move with all your best efforts. IT taking over media
>content is death of your program.
>
>I am a case in point. My program was assigned to the IT department and the
>media program was killed within a couple of years. I continue to witness the
>death online (my position was eliminated by the way) and it's so sad to see.
>
>Do not let IT take over your media program. Have them manage the streaming
>or whatever but do NOT let them take over content management.
>
>Sigh
>
>Rick Faaberg

>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

> [...]

> departments?
> do any other college/universities offer their nonprint collections "on
> demand"?

I feel that it is a *major* mistake to assign media content to the IT
department.

IT departments are never about content, only delivery. And that's just fine,
when you need delivery of content via the IT network.

Resist any such move with all your best efforts. IT taking over media
content is death of your program.

I am a case in point. My program was assigned to the IT department and the
media program was killed within a couple of years. I continue to witness the
death online (my position was eliminated by the way) and it's so sad to see.

Do not let IT take over your media program. Have them manage the streaming
or whatever but do NOT let them take over content management.

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."

--Guy Debord