Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:53:12 -0500

--B_3254817194_41792104

Well you guys always bitch at me for pointing out things like you can=B9t
stream copyrighted material without permission of rights holder
( which you are unlikely to get on most feature films any time soon) this
may be a case where reminding administration of this could prove
Useful. Not like IT folks are going to have much familiarity with that.

On 2/20/07 11:13 AM, "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> [...]
rm
> preservation of intellectual property is different. The commitment to
> broad-based access is different.
>=20
> If it were me, I'd be going to the battlements with both guns blazing and=
> posse of faculty supporters behind me.
>=20
> Gary
>=20
>=20
>=20
> fAt 05:58 AM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
>=20
>> I find the either/or mentality to be disturbing. I don't think we're at=
>> point where we can dismiss the importance of a physical collection. Turn=
ing
>> everything to on demand sounds like a solution looking for a problem. W=
>> haven't had a lot of requests from our faculty to make materials availab=
le
>> online, and when we have, we've worked WITH our IT dept to make it happe=
n. I
>> can't imagine how some of our faculty would react if the suddenly had to
>> learn a new way of dealing with their video materials. All I know is it
>> wouldn't be pretty.
>>=20
>> I agree with Rick that this is worth fighting over. Content decisions re=
ally
>> need to stay with the library.
>>=20
>> Best of luck,=20
>> Tom =20
>>=20
>> ______________________
>> Thomas A. Ipri, MS
>> Media Services Librarian
>>=20
>> Connelly Library
>> La Salle University
>> 1900 West Olney Avenue
>> Philadelphia, PA 19141
>> 215-951-1965
>> ipri@lasalle.edu
>> http://www.lasalle.edu/library
>> http://tombrarian.wordpress.com <http://tombrarian.wordpress.com/>
>>=20
>>=20
>> Rick Faaberg <rfaaberg@comcast.net>
>> Sent by: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>>=20
>> 02/20/2007 04:12 AM
>> Please respond to
>> videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>> To=20
> Videolib List <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> cc
> Subject=20
> Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 10/4/06 9:09 AM "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> sent this
> out:
>=20
>> > It is always exciting here at Emerson. Fresh back from the Media Mark=
et >>
(it
>> > was great meeting so many videolibbers in person) I was told that our
>> > film/video collection may be administered by IT rather than the Librar=
y,
>> > because they want to make the collection "on demand." Not sure whethe=
>> this
>> > refers to a centralized distribution center or whether to streaming--I=
am
>> not
>> > included in the preliminary discussions (!)
>> > My questions:
>> > have any other college/university film/video collections been "moved" =
to IT
>> > departments?
>> > do any other college/universities offer their nonprint collections "on
>> > demand"?
>=20
> I feel that it is a *major* mistake to assign media content to the IT
> department.
>=20
> IT departments are never about content, only delivery. And that's just fi=
ne,
> when you need delivery of content via the IT network.
>=20
> Resist any such move with all your best efforts. IT taking over media
> content is death of your program.
>=20
> I am a case in point. My program was assigned to the IT department and th=
> media program was killed within a couple of years. I continue to witness =
the
> death online (my position was eliminated by the way) and it's so sad to s=
ee.
>=20
> Do not let IT take over your media program. Have them manage the streamin=
> or whatever but do NOT let them take over content management.
>=20
> Sigh
>=20
> Rick Faaberg
>=20
> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issu=
es
> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries =
and
> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effectiv=
> distributors.
>=20
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>=20
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC> "In societies where modern conditions =
of
> production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulatio=
> [...]

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3254817194_41792104

Re: [Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!! Well = you guys always bitch at me for pointing out things like you can’t str= eam copyrighted material without permission of rights holder
[...]

If it were me, I'd be going to the battlements with both guns blazing and a= posse of faculty supporters behind me.

Gary

I find the either/or mentality to be disturbing.  = I don't think we're at a point where we can dismiss the importance of a phys= ical collection. Turning everything to on demand sounds like a solution look= ing for a problem.  We haven't had a lot of requests from our faculty t= o make materials available online, and when we have, we've worked WITH our I= T dept to make it happen.  I can't imagine how some of our faculty woul= d react if the suddenly had to learn a new way of dealing with their video m= aterials.  All I know is it wouldn't be pretty.

I agree with Rick that this is worth fighting over. Content decisions reall= y need to stay with the library.

Best of luck,
Tom

______________________
Thomas A. Ipri, MS
Media Services Librarian

Connelly Library
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141
215-951-1965
ipri@lasalle.edu
http://www.lasalle.edu/library=
http://tombrarian.wordpress.com <http://tombrarian.wordpres= s.com/>

Rick Faaberg <rf= aaberg@comcast.net>
Sent by: owner-videoli= b@lists.berkeley.edu

02/20/2007 04:12 AM=20

Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

Video= lib List <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>=20

cc
Subject

Re: [= Videolib] Collection going to IT????!!!!

On 10= /4/06 9:09 AM "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> se= nt this
out:

> It is always exciting here at Emerson.  Fresh back from the Media= Market (it
> was great meeting so many videolibbers in person) I was told that our<= BR> > film/video collection may be administered by IT rather than the Librar= y,
> because they want to make the collection "on demand."  = Not sure whether this
> refers to a centralized distribution center or whether to streaming--I= am not
> included in the preliminary discussions (!)
> My questions:
> have any other college/university film/video collections been "mo= ved" to IT
> departments?
> do any other college/universities offer their nonprint collections &qu= ot;on
> demand"?

I feel that it is a *major* mistake to assign media content to the IT
department.

IT departments are never about content, only delivery. And that's just fine= ,
when you need delivery of content via the IT network.

Resist any such move with all your best efforts. IT taking over media
content is death of your program.

I am a case in point. My program was assigned to the IT department and the<= BR> media program was killed within a couple of years. I continue to witness th= e
death online (my position was eliminated by the way) and it's so sad to see= .

Do not let IT take over your media program. Have them manage the streaming<= BR> or whatever but do NOT let them take over content management.

Sigh

Rick Faaberg

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues= relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, p= reservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and = related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective w= orking tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication betw= een libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors= .

UC Berkeley