RE: [Videolib] Copyright holders

Badilla-Melendez, Cindy (CBADILLAME@stthomas.edu)
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:01:20 -0600

Question,

You can make a copy of an obsolete format but can be used on in the Library
right??? not take for class right?? or I missed something in between??

Cindy Badilla-Melendez
Media Resources Librarian
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
University of St. Thomas
2115 Summit Ave,
St Paul, MN 55105
phone (651) 962-5464
fax (651) 962-5406

-----Original Message-----
From: Brigid Duffy [mailto:bduffy@sfsu.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 11:04 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Copyright holders

We have done this a few times. We assure the copyright holder that we
will make a copy for them (if they want it), for our media
collection, and that is all. For an individual who made a 16mm film
40 years ago, getting a free DVD (or vhs) copy might be an incentive.

In any case, compose your letter, putting a line they can sign at the
bottom saying they agree that you can make the transfer. Send it by
mail or e-mail, include your fax number or an envelope with return
postage on it. That way if it ever becomes a question you have their
approval in writing.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Feb 16, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Jessica Rosner wrote:

> Well you can always ask. If you are asking about a feature film I
> think you
> can guarantee the answer will be no, with an educational film I
> suppose
> someone might consider it.
> I think the main thing would be to find the contact info, explain
> how you
> acquired the title in the format you have and what format you want to
> transfer it to.
>

> On 2/16/07 10:26 AM, "Chris Vance" <christine.vance@umontana.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've never tried to contact copyright holders in order to ask
>> permission
>> to copy film to other formats. I've already explored the
>> possibility of
>> purchasing in any format and found that to be impossible. Could
>> someone
>> please give me a short course or direct me to information that
>> will help
>> me.
>> Thank you very much.
>> Chris
>

> Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
>
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
> 333 W 39th St. 503
> NY NY 10018
> jrosner@kino.com
> 212-629-6880
>

> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
> and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions.
> It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool
> for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
> distributors.
distributors.