Re: [Videolib] Copyright holders

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:03:37 -0800

We have done this a few times. We assure the copyright holder that we
will make a copy for them (if they want it), for our media
collection, and that is all. For an individual who made a 16mm film
40 years ago, getting a free DVD (or vhs) copy might be an incentive.

In any case, compose your letter, putting a line they can sign at the
bottom saying they agree that you can make the transfer. Send it by
mail or e-mail, include your fax number or an envelope with return
postage on it. That way if it ever becomes a question you have their
approval in writing.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology