Re: [Videolib] Documentaries about the filmmaking business?

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:41:22 -0800

--Apple-Mail-2-9354523
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

It's about how television gets made, but you might want to look at

Hollywood Inside Out: The TV Industry- 40 minutes - 2004

Executives who work in television comment in this program on how
Hollywood productions are made. Pamely Fryman, Tammara Billik, John
Wentworth and Jeff Richman explain the creative process, from initial
concept through casting and shooting to post-production.

$169 plus shipping on DVD ($149 for vhs) from First Light Video
(http://www.firstlightvideo.com or call (800) 262-8862).

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Meghann Matwichuk wrote:

> Dear C.B.,
>
> An unexpected stumper just came across our service desk: a faculty
> who would like to show her class a film about the filmmaking
> business. Not a film about filmmaking, i.e. how to shoot / edit /
> produce / etc. a film, not about the history of the studio system,
> but a film about how, say, a Hollywood film is made (i.e. a script
> goes to a line producer, funding is procured, casting,
> shooting, ... film is publicized, etc.) . I'm wondering if there
> might be an extra on a feature film dvd that has something
> appropriate, tracing the creation of a particular film. Or perhaps
> I'm missing some obvious titles? Hence the appeal to the
> collective brain, so that I won't have to think about this while I
> sleep tonight...
>
> I can think of a number of books (especially centering on
> filmmakers' experiences with, say, indie filmmaking) that might be
> appropriate, but at drawing a blank on the documentaries themselves.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> *************************
> Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
> Senior Assistant Librarian
> Instructional Media Collection Department
> Morris Library, University of Delaware
> 181 S. College Ave.
> Newark, DE 19717
> (302) 831-1475

--Apple-Mail-2-9354523

It's about how television gets = made, but you might want to look at=A0

Hollywood = Inside Out: The TV Industry-=A0 40 minutes - 2004

Executives who work in television comment in this = program on how Hollywood productions are made. Pamely Fryman, Tammara = Billik, John Wentworth and Jeff Richman explain the creative process, = from initial concept through casting and shooting to = post-production.

$169 plus = shipping on DVD ($149 for vhs) from First Light Video (http://www.firstlightvideo.com= or call (800) 262-8862).

Brigid = Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San = Francisco State University
San = Francisco, CA=A0 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

An unexpected stumper just came across our service desk:=A0= a faculty who would like to show her class a film about the filmmaking = business.=A0 Not a film about filmmaking, i.e. how to shoot / edit / = produce / etc. a film, not about the history of the studio system, but a = film about how, say, a Hollywood film is made (i.e. a script goes to a = line producer, funding is procured, casting, shooting, ... film is = publicized, etc.) .=A0 I'm wondering if there might be an extra on a = feature film dvd that has something appropriate, tracing the creation of = a particular film.=A0 Or perhaps I'm missing some obvious titles?=A0 = Hence the appeal to the collective brain, so that I won't have to think = about this while I sleep tonight...

Meghann = Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media = Collection Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 = S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) = 831-1475

= --Apple-Mail-2-9354523-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.