RE: [Videolib] Netflix - again

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:34:23 -0600

If Netflix is willing to do anything other than a standard user account
with you, Jim, let us know. They weren't interested when we inquired a
few years back about doing higher-volume business with them.
Blockbuster has gotten very aggressive lately in their competition with
Nexflix, they might be worth a try.

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of James Scholtz
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:00 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Netflix - again

Hi Folks, Netflix or Blockbuster - interesting. In the public library
arena, we have always used leased sources like Landmark for CD
audiobooks, AC audiobooks - why not a similar model for videos/DVDs.
Many libraries are looking into providing databases with streamed audio
and video content, downloadable on demand (fee or free, your choice?).
So, the idea of a contract with Netflix to provide movies to libraries
seems innovative, reasonable and very cost efficient/effective in terms
of problem-solving and use of public funds. I'm going to look into it.
Jim Scholtz. Yankton Community Library.