Re: [Videolib] Question on Public Performance Rights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:00:10 -0500

--B_3254299211_10738047

With all due respect I think you are being a little cavalier on this,
This is not a case that is a grey area in terms of the law nor are the film=
difficult to track on the rights
I am not sure why you would not want to do this legally as you are really
opening yourself up for problems
I mean if you are 100% that these showings will NEVER EVERY be listed or
noted on the web you can just say
you want to risk it but in this day and age most things to end up on the we=
and I can assure you distributors
often find out.=20
Kino is pretty small but we have already had a few ugly incidence on this (
most were simple but others
were not) which did lead to either last minute cancellations or some seriou=
money.

We don=B9t have a lot of resources on these things but everyone from SWANK t=
the Chaplin Estate=20
has gotten involved in different situations.

I don=B9t see why legally or morally you want to fool around with what is
clearly a public showing.
If the Prof wants to show to his class he is welcome to do so but when he o=
she wants to have a showing open to the Public
they have to clear it.

On 2/14/07 11:19 AM, "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Because I don't think anyone else would and I've become more willing to t=
ake
> risks in my middle age.
>=20
> Gary
>=20
> At 07:50 AM 2/14/2007, you wrote:
>> Why wouldn't you worry about it in this case?
>>=20
>> Daisy
>>=20
>> Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> Technically, yes...
>>=20
>> Would I worry about it...no (but that's just me)
>>=20
>> Gary Handman
>>=20
>> Quoting Marynelle Chew :
>>=20
>>> before.
>>> issues
>>> and
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/
>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of iss=
ues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control=
,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries=
and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effecti=
ve
>> distributors.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D43909/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail> and
>> always stay connected
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D43909/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail> to fri=
ends.
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>=20
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC> "In societies where modern conditions =
of
> production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulatio=
n of
> spectacles."
>=20
> --Guy Debord
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3254299211_10738047

Re: [Videolib] Question on Public Performance Rights With = all due respect I think you are being a little cavalier on this,
This is not a case that is a grey area in terms of the law nor are the film= s difficult to track on the rights
I am not sure why you would not want to do this legally as you are really o= pening  yourself up for problems
I mean if you are 100% that these showings will NEVER EVERY be listed or no= ted on the web you can just say
you want to risk it but in this day and age most things to end up on the we= b and I can assure you distributors
often find out.
Kino is pretty small but we have already had a few ugly incidence on this (= most were simple but others
were not) which did lead to either last minute cancellations or some seriou= s money.

We don’t have a lot of  resources on these things but everyone f= rom SWANK to the Chaplin Estate
has gotten involved in different situations.

I don’t see why legally or morally you want to fool around with what = is clearly  a public showing.
If the Prof wants to show to his class he is welcome to do so but when he o= r she wants to have a showing open to the Public
they have to clear it.