Re: [Videolib] Question on Public Performance Rights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:09:37 -0500

It depends Gary
If like many places this event gets listed on the web , there may be hell to
pay. Rialto can be very aggressive and unless I am mistaken FFH reads the
list.
I have had to go after a couple of similar cases including a major one at a
school I will not name which cost them at least 2 grand between US, Swank
and New Yorker. To be fair it was a prof who had checked NOTHING and media
person who was really pissed at him and knew nothing about it.

In some cases the event was just flat out cancelled. It gets ugly when the
film in question is not legally allowed to be shown in public ( hint NEVER
mess with a Chaplin film).

On 2/13/07 4:43 PM, "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Technically, yes...
>
> Would I worry about it...no (but that's just me)
>
> Gary Handman
>
> Quoting Marynelle Chew <chewm@byuh.edu>:
>
>> One of our librarians is considering showing a library-owned video or two
>> in
>> the library, in conjunction with a library display.
>>
>> Are public performance rights needed for an in-library showing, with a
>> professor present to make an introduction and lead a discussion-and-answer
>> period afterwards, of films that would be shown in conjunction with a
>> library display and not part of a regular curriculum? Advertised to
>> students, no admission fee.
>>
>> Films under consideration are
>>
>> La bataille d'Alger = The battle of Algiers / un film de Gillo Pontecorvo
>> (Criterion Collection)
>>
>> Bollywood bound / Nisha Pahuja (Films for the Humanities)
>>
>> This is new territory for us as we have not done this type of thing before.
>> In the past I have not additionally licensed PPR when purchasing av
>> materials and would greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me on how
>> to go about obtaining permission, should your collective wisdom deem that
>> it
>> is required.
>>
>> Thank you!

>> Marynelle Chew
>> Head, Technical Services
>> Joseph F. Smith Library
>> Brigham Young University-Hawaii
>> 55-220 Kulanui St. #1966
>> Laie, HI 96762
>>
>> tel: 808-293-3863
>> fax: 808-293-3877
>> email: chewm@byuh.edu
>>

>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective
>> distributors.

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner