Re: [Videolib] Question on Public Performance Rights

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:50:50 -0500

The "face to face" teaching exemption ONLY covers films that are part of
regular class and LIMITED to those students enrolled in the class.
You would need to get PPR for the films.
I am sure this will turn into some long convuluted debate and I really don't
know why as this is not a grey area. As a analogy to obstinate professors
I always like to remind them of the good old HS or college Musical. It
doesn't matter if you don't charge and only allow students to go, if you
don't pay Rogers and Hammerstein's reps there will be hell to pay

FYI Battle of Algiers is released by Criterion for home video only
The PPR belongs to Rialto film

On 2/13/07 3:25 PM, "Marynelle Chew" <chewm@byuh.edu> wrote:

> One of our librarians is considering showing a library-owned video or two in
> the library, in conjunction with a library display.
>
> Are public performance rights needed for an in-library showing, with a
> professor present to make an introduction and lead a discussion-and-answer
> period afterwards, of films that would be shown in conjunction with a
> library display and not part of a regular curriculum? Advertised to
> students, no admission fee.
>
> Films under consideration are
>
> La bataille d'Alger = The battle of Algiers / un film de Gillo Pontecorvo
> (Criterion Collection)
>
> Bollywood bound / Nisha Pahuja (Films for the Humanities)
>
> This is new territory for us as we have not done this type of thing before.
> In the past I have not additionally licensed PPR when purchasing av
> materials and would greatly appreciate any guidance you can give me on how
> to go about obtaining permission, should your collective wisdom deem that it
> is required.
>
> Thank you!

> Marynelle Chew
> Head, Technical Services