Re: [Videolib] Re: ILL of Media

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:33:03 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_9qRH9QIMNy4+i5EUXHgSuQ)

Brigid, I hope you'll summarize the responses for the list.
Seems to me that the numbers are so low, it's a good argument
to use for those vendors who charge a large sum for College/University
sites vs. public library and school sites. Look at the figures, there isn't
that much lending going on, so what is the justification for the huge
price differential?
The question you didn't ask is, if you do ILL media, what percentage
of the total media collection does this lending represent?
We did a provincial survey and found that, even with an organized
consortium set up for media lending, only 3% of the collection is loaned.
That hardly justifies the exorbitant price being charged for those who
price on a 2-tier system.

Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6 http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, April 25-26, 2007

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

--Boundary_(ID_9qRH9QIMNy4+i5EUXHgSuQ) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> Brigid, I hope you'll summarize the responses for the list.

Brigid Duffy wrote:

[...]

--Boundary_(ID_9qRH9QIMNy4+i5EUXHgSuQ)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.