RE: [Videolib] Closed vs Open Stacks

Williams, Ms Beth (ewilliam@mansfield.edu)
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:06:48 -0500

See answers below---

Beth Williams
Circulation Supervisor
North Hall Library
Mansfield University
ewilliam@mansfield.edu

From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Beth Traylor
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:55 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Closed vs Open Stacks

Hello All,

Our administration is looking in to the possibility of open stacks for
our collection in the future. Right now, our collection is stored
behind the counter and we go and get the titles. We have over 8000 vhs
and dvd titles for a campus population of 28,000+ students. They are not

LC catalogued. We would still house any titles placed on Reserve for
students to watch in the Library behind the counter.

We need to investigate the pros and cons of having titles in open
shelving outside the office area in
some kind of secured cases. What is everyone doing?

Do you have open or closed stacks?

We went from closed stacks to open stacks three years ago.

Do you use locking cases?

We use locking cases on double-sided DVDs and on VHS titles that are
prone to theft (i.e. sex videos). On other DVDs we use 3-m donut
security strips and the VHS tapes are striped as well.

Do you just display the insert and have the disc itself behind the
counter?

It is all on open stacks

Do your titles have LC call numbers?

Yes-- they are all LC classified.

Any words of wisdom?

Good luck! One of the summer jobs is to inventory the videos to see if
we are suffering any great loss rate since the move to open stacks--so
far so good--no large increase in theft--

Thank you in advance for your shared wisdom.

Beth Traylor
Multimedia Librarian
UW-Milwaukee Libraries

producers and distributors.