Re: [Videolib] Size of screen

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:58:05 -0500

The ³homestyle exception² under section 110(5)(A) probably allows the
churches to show the game on equipment ³of a kind commonly used in private
homes² (provided they donıt charge admission ‹ some of them were planning to
do so, which is a separate issue). The NFL is telling churches (and
newspapers are printing as true) that screens cannot be bigger than 55
inches. But the 55-inch limit the NFL is citing to the churches as, ahem,
gospel, is from a different section of the law (section 110(5)(B)) that I
read as dealing with TVs in commercial establishments (as the conference
report suggests). The assertion that the bright-line 55-inch rule from
subsection ³B² transfers to the general ³commonly used in private homes²
standard under subsection ³A² is wishful thinking. Have you been to Circuit
City lately? Letıs just say that screens a lot bigger than 55 inches sell
quite briskly to private homeowners, and ³homestyle² screens will continue
to grow in the near future. If you can watch the game on a 70 63-inch plasma
at Uncle Charleyıs, you probably can do it at Fall Creek Baptist Church too.
(Maybe Congress will rewrite subsection ³A², but there it is for now.)

Jerry