Re: [Videolib] Size of screen

Catherine Michael (cmichael@ithaca.edu)
Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:12:51 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_Z6Wu8iIKrEf+vpKtZ2ntbA)

Apparently one from the NFL that also appears in fed law -- see, for
example:

FOOTBALL'S INTELLECTUAL SIDE: THE NFL VERSUS SUPER BOWL PARTIES AND
THE STORY OF THE FIFTY-FIVE INCH TELEVISION
by Michael M. Fenwick
4 J. Marshall Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 125
"The increasing popularity of the National Football League's Super
Bowl Championship has spawned an increasing number of private
parties, some that employ projection-screen televisions measuring up
to twenty feet diagonally. Only days before the 2004 Super Bowl, the
NFL sent cease-and-desist letters to a number of business proprietors
claiming display of the broadcast on televisions larger than fifty-
five inches diagonally violated the NFL's rights under 17 U.S.C. 110
(5). This Comment will show that because 17 U.S.C. 110(5) was written
to protect authors within the music industry, its application to
broadcast television fails because of television's fundamentally
different business model. In addition, the Nielsen ratings system
currently in place is overly demanding and the fair-use laws that
should otherwise protect the public interest in dissemination are
either inapplicable to television or blatantly unconstitutional."

It caters to Nielson....

GPO Access USC: http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?
WAISdocID=79174613218+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Sincerely,
Cathy

On Feb 6, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Gary Handman wrote:

> What law?
>
> Gary
>
> At 09:21 AM 2/6/2007, you wrote:
>> There was a recent incident related to television and the superbowl:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/wrtv/20070203/lo_wrtv/10916537
>> "The NFL said the law generally limits Super Bowl showings to one
>> TV no
>> bigger than 55 inches."
>>
>> Perhaps the patron was considering this scenario?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Cathy
>>

>> Catherine Michael
>> Communications Librarian
>> Ithaca College Library
>> 1201 Gannett Center
>> Ithaca, NY 14850
>>
>> (607)274-1293
>>

>> > And if you show it on an ipod, the studios pay YOU to publicly
>> perform it.
>> >
>> > A really wonderfully nutty notion, but totally false, Eileen.
>> >
>> > Gary Handman

>> showed a
>> about PPR.
>> center. I told

>> > Gary Handman
>> > Director
>> > Media Resources Center
>> > Moffitt Library
>> > UC Berkeley
>> > ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>> > http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>> >
>> > "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all
>> of life
>> > presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
>> >
>> > --Guy Debord
>> >

>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
>> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
>> acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of
>> current and evolving video formats in libraries and related
>> institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective
>> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>> communication between libraries,educational institutions, and
>> video producers and distributors.
>
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of
> life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
>
> --Guy Debord
>

> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
> of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
> and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions.
> It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool
> for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
> distributors.

Catherine Michael
cmichael@ithaca.edu
Find it here @ IC Library

--Boundary_(ID_Z6Wu8iIKrEf+vpKtZ2ntbA)

Apparently one from the NFL that = also appears in fed law --=A0 see, for example:

[...]

GPO= Access USC:=A0http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/= cgi-bin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=3D79174613218+0+0+0&WAISaction=3Dretrie= ve

Sincerely,
Cathy

There was a recent incident related to television = and the superbowl:
"The NFL said the law generally limits Super Bowl = showings to one TV no
bigger than 55 = inches."

Perhaps the patron was considering this = scenario?

Cheers,

Communications = Librarian
Ithaca College Library
1201 Gannett Center
Ithaca, = NY=A0 14850

> And = if you show it on an ipod, the studios pay YOU to publicly perform = it.
>
> A really wonderfully nutty notion, but totally = false, Eileen.
>
> Gary Handman
>
> At 01:50 PM 2/5/2007, you wrote:
>
>>I had = a patron tell me today that she had heard that if you showed a
>> movie
>>on a = small screen (under maybe 24") you didn't have to worry about = PPR.
>>She wants to show an = unspecified movie at the local senior center. I told
>>her this was news to me, but I would ask the = experts.
>>
>>So I'm asking you all.
>>
>>Everett Public Library
>>2702 Hoyt Ave.
>>425-257-8017 = fax
>
> Gary Handman
> = Director
> Media Resources = Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley

Catherine = Michael
cmichael@ithaca.edu
Find= it here @ IC Library

=

= --Boundary_(ID_Z6Wu8iIKrEf+vpKtZ2ntbA)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.