Re: [Videolib] Video Librarianship from the VERY beginning

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:50:47 -0500

--------------060609090200020303010309

Hello Jared,

I would encourage you to take another look at VRT's offerings during
this summer's ALA Annual. The VRT preconference being organized in
conjunction with American University should prove exceedingly useful to
a new media librarian:

*User Rights at Risk in Video and Film: Issues for Media Librarians
*ALA-VRT
Friday, June 22, 2007, 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Focuses on user rights under copyright law, including fair use and the
right to use orphan works. Features a major new initiative on fair use,
which created the "Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices
in Fair Use." Speakers include experts from filmmaking, legal, academic
and practitioner communities. The preconference provides the latest
information on orphan works, and explores how librarians' service to
users and their own user rights are affected by current practices and
trends.
/Speakers:/ Peter Jaszi, Professor of Law, Washington College of Law,
American University, Faculty Director of the Glushko- Samuelson
Intellectual Property Clinic; Pat Aufderheide, Professor, School of
Communication, American Univ., Executive Director, Center for Social Media
*Tickets:* /Advance:/ VRT Member: $50; ALA Member: $75; Non-Member:
$125; Student/Retired Member: $35. /Onsite:/ VRT Member: $55; ALA
Member: $80; Non- Member: $150; Student/Retired Member: $40.

http://www.ala.org/ala/eventsandconferencesb/annual/2007a/otherevents.htm

Copyright concerns / user rights were the first to throw me for a bit of
a loop. I believe a broad understanding of copyright is most useful if
you work with either reserves or media in a library setting, and is
something that I wish I had learned more about in library school before
I landed my first professional job as a media librarian. Copyright
affects so many aspects of our job, especially when advising faculty
(who sometimes have a very muddled understanding of copyright -- see the
recent question about whether or not PPR was necessary if something is
being shown on a 22" screen!). Why is most educational media so
expensive? What are Public Performance Rights and when are they
necessary? What is covered by the Face-to-Face Teaching exemption?
Etcetera.

There are also plenty of opportunities to network with other video
librarians at VRT meetings, and I think networking is generally the most
useful aspect of any conference attended. It is also fairly easy to get
involved on a VRT committee, which can further help with networking and
gaining a national perspective of your newfound field.

If you had any other questions about VRT, feel free to be in touch (I am
the outgoing VRT Membership Chair).

I have also attended (and would recommend) CCUMC's annual conference and
the National Media Market. It does sound like CCUMC could wait for you,
though, until production becomes a larger part of your focus. National
Media Market is extremely helpful when it comes to keeping abreast of
content -- another of the largest challenges / responsibilities that
comes with the media librarian mantle, in my opinion.

Good luck,

*************************
Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

--------------090205090800090806090205

Seay, Jared Alexander wrote:

[...]
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==