RE: [Videolib] Replacement Fees in Academic Libraries?

Jen Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:47 -0800

------_=_NextPart_6334_00018467.00000041

Actually, I don't allow the expensive ones, (say, over $100 in cost) to
circulate. Most of these are going to be the FFH or Fanlight copies or
something like that. We charge a flat replacement cost of $50 all around
for each VHS or DVD for the ones that do circulate. (per individual tape
or DVD, not title) It evens out. If the student loses a $10 DVD, (like,
say, an easily replaceable feature film) I let them buy an exact
replacement copy instead paying the $50, if they want, and we call it
good.

-jen

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Meghann
Matwichuk
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:54 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Replacement Fees in Academic Libraries?

Hello All,

A quick question for the academic librarians in the audience -- how do
you handle replacements of lost / damaged videos if you circulate to
students? Like most academic libraries, we have a number of very
expensive titles in our collection alongside the $15-$25 ones, and I
can't imagine charging a student full price replacement for these
several hundred dollar titles for an honest 'oops'... What seems to
work best? A flat replacement cost? Thanks in advance.

Best,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware