Re: [Videolib] Replacement Fees in Academic Libraries?

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:20:42 -0800

--=====================_174988265==.ALT

For lost or "permanently misplaced" items, we charge retail cost of
replacement...faculty, grad student instructors, Nobel laureates, doesn't
matter. I'm a bit more reluctant to charge for damaged materials, since
the majority of use outside of the MRC is in classrooms on this
campus...can't really blame faculty for badly maintained equipment on campus.

Gary H.

At 06:54 AM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>A quick question for the academic librarians in the audience -- how do you
>handle replacements of lost / damaged videos if you circulate to
>students? Like most academic libraries, we have a number of very
>expensive titles in our collection alongside the $15-$25 ones, and I can't
>imagine charging a student full price replacement for these several
>hundred dollar titles for an honest 'oops'... What seems to work best? A
>flat replacement cost? Thanks in advance.
>
>Best,
>
>*************************
>Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
>Senior Assistant Librarian
>Instructional Media Collection Department
>Morris Library, University of Delaware
>181 S. College Ave.
>Newark, DE 19717
>(302) 831-1475

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

[...]

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."

--Guy Debord