Re: [Videolib] DVD circulation policies - public libraries

Wendy Ensor (wendy.ensor@orrville.lib.oh.us)
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:13:12 -0500

How many DVDs do you allow per patron check-out?

Patrons are allowed to check out 8 DVDs at a time. This includes
fiction & non-fiction titles.

> How long do your DVDs circulate? In regard to circulation time, do
> you distinguish between fiction and nonfiction, adult and juvenile? We
circulate all VHS & DVD formats for one week. Patrons are allowed to
reserve most items as well as renew them twice, as long as no one else
is waiting for the title.
Circlulation time is the same for non-fiction & fiction, adult &
juvenile titles. The only exceptions to this are videos which we have
in "health kits" and our "express" copies. The videos in the kits
circulate for 3 weeks along with the rest of the stuff in the kits. The
"express" copies circulate for one week, no renewals, but no one can
reserve them.

> How do you handle your boxed DVD sets? Do they have a longer
> circulation period? Do you keep in one package or separate the
> discs?

We are in the process of combining many of our multi-part sets.
Collections like Band of Bros and the various TV series seasons we are
combining. Collections that consist of entire movies, like the James
Bond Collections, we will keep divided up. Circ times are still one
week.

> How do you secure your DVDs?
>
> Do you use a security case or lock?
> If so, what is the name of the product?
> Are you satisfied with the product? Why or why not?

We use kwik cases for most titles and are trying out Alpha Security's
extra capacity cases for items with more than 4 discs. We have been
satisfied with the kwik cases. The Alpha cases just arrived so we've
not put them through their paces yet, but they seem to be just what we
were looking for.

Wendy Ensor
Reference Librarian
Orrville Public Library