Re: [Videolib] Where to begin?

Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:48:43 -0800

Hullo Todd and welcome

You've asked a question which doesn't have satisfactory answers,
unfortunately. I think you've made a good start by joining the videolib
discussion. The ALA Video Round Table is a fabulous group of colleagues
and resources...you should definitely check it out. My book (getting
dustier by the day), Video Collection Development in Multitype Libraries
(Greenwood, 2nd ed) has the wise counsel of many leading lights in the
media librarian biz. There are good chapters on academic library
collections, collection development policy, etc. The ACTS
(http://www.ala.org/ala/alcts/aboutalcts/Default1513.htm) has a number of
discussion groups which sometimes touch on media matters (the tech
processing end of things) The Consortium of College and University Media
Centers is an interesting group that deals with media matters broadly
defined (http://www.ccumc.org/)

You can always rely on this list to answer questions and provide advice.

Good luck!

Gary Handman

At 12:16 PM 1/19/2007, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Be gentle -- we are newbies in the area of Media Collections. Although we
>have an existing collection, we are trying to expand and grow to meet the
>needs of our faculty. Where/What is a good starting point for resources
>on academic library media collections? Not necessarily collection
>development (we have no shortage of title requests), but specifically
>order tracking, programming, policies etc.?
>
>What workshops and/or conferences do you recommend?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Todd Rix
>Media Collections Assistant
>Addlestone Library at the College of Charleston
>Charleston, SC 29401

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord