Re: [Videolib] long-term PPR for Inconvenient Truth, etc

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:45:22 -0500

--B_3251976324_622746688

Yes but that is because you poor suckers need PPR for CLASSROOM USE
Studio=B9s here won=B9t go past a year because the license is for open public
showings
FYI your system really makes no sense to me as legally you can=B9t get these
rights on things
Like Chaplin, Fassbinder ( most) Ealing films etc though I gather some
companies are a little less than accurate in what they claim they can
license
But then that is not your problem

On 1/18/07 1:33 PM, "Stephen Davies" <SDavies@mtroyal.ca> wrote:

>=20
> In Canada, we can lease copies of "feature film" videos from the
> distributors with the PPR. When the lease runs out, we must return the v=
ideo
> to the distributor.
> Usually the lease runs from 3 - 5 years. A few years ago the pri=
ces
> for a medium-sized institution were something like:
> $90 for a single performance
> $300 for a 3 - 5 year lease + loan of an authorize=
> copy=20
> Obviously it was more economical to lease those videos which fit =
the
> curriculum.=20
> Now, we just buy blanket licenses from the two main distributors,=
and
> get our commercial copies elsewhere (eg. the corner store, etc.)
>=20
> Stephen Davies=20
> Mount Royal College, Calgary
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3251976324_622746688

Re: [Videolib] long-term PPR for Inconvenient Truth, etc Yes b= ut that is because you poor suckers need PPR for CLASSROOM USE
Studio’s here won’t go past  a year because the license is= for open public showings
FYI your system really makes no sense to me as legally you can’t get = these rights on things
Like Chaplin, Fassbinder ( most) Ealing films etc though I gather some comp= anies are a little less than accurate in what they claim they can license But then that is not your problem

On 1/18/07 1:33 PM, "Stephen Davies" <SDavies@mtroyal.ca> w= rote:

        In Canada, we can lease cop= ies of "feature film" videos from the distributors with the PPR. &= nbsp;When the lease runs out, we must return the video to the distributor. <= BR>         Usually the lease runs from= 3 - 5 years.  A few years ago the prices for a medium-sized institutio= n were something like:
            &nb= sp;          $90 for a sin= gle performance
            &nb= sp;          $300 for a 3 = - 5 year lease + loan of an authorized copy