Re: [Videolib] Re: Star Maker

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:46:32 -0500

Well actually all pre 1948 films are owned by Universal over a deal dating
from the 1960s. Paramount has in fact been dead last and Universal is a bit
better but this is relative. They did in fact put out a Crosby set but it
frankly focused on his better more commercial films. I don't know of
anything about Star Maker which would make them the slightest bit interested
in releasing it. Each studio has THOUSANDS of films in it's library so they
make choices, some are better than others but overall other than Crosby who
is not THAT popular there would be no reason to release this film.
I doubt a studio is interested in anything that is not likely to sell at
LEAST 20,000 copies and it is much easier for them to do that with say some
70s film featuring a more recent star than Crosby
To give you some idea of the issue. Other than Warner Bros who are by far
the best , no studio has released on its own A SINGLE SILENT FILM FROM ITS
LIBRATY with the odd exception of the 1928 film MATINEE IDOL from Columbia
which was done because it was restored by the Academy

There are so many important and really good films studios will never release
and I get too excited about the lack of release of middling Crosby film

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503