Re: [Videolib] Mask of Gold

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:44:33 +0100

Dear Sheryl,

there is little information about this film on the web - no leads in
WorldCat or in European library catalogues, not even in the UK. So
probably never published on video. The only information I've found is
this one:

"Frayn then shifted gears again, focusing for four years on novels and a
weekly BBC comedy series, Beyond a Joke. His next play, Alphabetical
Order did not appear until 1975. He followed this with four documentary
films for the BBC: Imagine a City Called Berlin (1975), Vienna: The Mask
of Gold (1977), Three Streets in the Country (1979), and The Long
Straight (1980). Frayn describes these documentaries as “kind of filmed
essays, really, with a lot of history in them” (Weintraub, 175)."
http://bard.org/education/resources/other/noisesoffplaywright.html

Here is the entry from the BBC catalogue:
http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/programme/LMA5753A

Nevertheless there are some universities in the US that own a copy on
video in a German language version:
http://www.ibiblio.org/flrc/itemView.php?item=546
http://www.tulane.edu/~llc/reservations/germanvideos.html

You might ask them where they've got it from, or you
might contact the BBC directly
http://www.bbcactive.com/broadcastlearning/asp/home/home.asp

kind regards
Peter