Re: [Videolib] Mask of Gold

Delin, Peter (
Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:44:33 +0100

Dear Sheryl,

there is little information about this film on the web - no leads in
WorldCat or in European library catalogues, not even in the UK. So
probably never published on video. The only information I've found is
this one:

"Frayn then shifted gears again, focusing for four years on novels and a
weekly BBC comedy series, Beyond a Joke. His next play, Alphabetical
Order did not appear until 1975. He followed this with four documentary
films for the BBC: Imagine a City Called Berlin (1975), Vienna: The Mask
of Gold (1977), Three Streets in the Country (1979), and The Long
Straight (1980). Frayn describes these documentaries as “kind of filmed
essays, really, with a lot of history in them” (Weintraub, 175)."

Here is the entry from the BBC catalogue:

Nevertheless there are some universities in the US that own a copy on
video in a German language version:

You might ask them where they've got it from, or you
might contact the BBC directly

kind regards

Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin