RE: [Videolib] I Have a Dream speech

Brock, Shawn (Shawn.Brock@aetn.com)
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:42:27 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C717C3.2EB358EE

The rights are controlled by the estate of Dr. King. We had tried to
get obtain permission to stream the speech at our site (History.com)
free for users but were unable to come to a reasonable solution. You
can get the transcript of the speech for free from the Kings Papers
Project.
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Hornbeck, Patty
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 11:34 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] I Have a Dream speech
=09
Hi all,
=20
I'm looking for some help and advice from you about a copyright
issue. Has anyone negotiated the rights to use Martin Luther King's I
Have a Dream speech on your campuses, either during his birthday or
Black History month? If so, were the terms reasonable?=20
=20
How many of you feel that "there is no clear answer to the
question of copyright status." see below, from a Wikipedia entry:

Estate of Martin Luther King, Jr., Inc. v. CBS, Inc. (194 F.3d
1211 (11th Cir. 1999)) is a United States court case that resolved a
longstanding dispute about the public domain </topic/public-domain>
copyright </topic/copyright> status of Martin Luther King, Jr.
</topic/martin-luther-king-jr>'s most famous speech
</topic/public-speaking>, known by the key phrase I have a dream
</topic/i-have-a-dream>, originally delivered on the steps at the
Lincoln Memorial </topic/lincoln-memorial> in Washington, D.C.
</topic/washington-capital-washington-dc> on August 28
</topic/august-28>, 1963 </topic/1963>. The intial court ruling was that
the speech is indeed covered by copyright, and is not in the public
domain. On appeal the 11th circuit court disagreed with this ruling and
it was remanded for determination. The parties settled out of court and
there is no clear answer to the question of copyright status.

Thanks for any help with this.

Best,

Patty Hornbeck

=09
________________________________
Patty Hornbeck
Media Resources Development Coordinator
Middlebury College Library
110 Storrs Ave. / M212
Middlebury, VT 05753
(802)443-2268 ph.=20
(802)443-5698 fax
hornbeck@middlebury.edu
=20
=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C717C3.2EB358EE

Message

The=20 rights are controlled by the estate of Dr. King.  We had tried to = get=20 obtain permission to stream the speech at our site (History.com) free = for users=20 but were unable to come to a reasonable solution.  You can get the=20 transcript of the speech for free from the Kings Papers=20 Project.