Re: [Videolib] televisions w/o headphone jacks

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:32:39 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_6yNAbSdyQf/wHX0gxhonyA)

We ran into the same problem.

Since the TVs have an audio out with an RCA jack, you need an RCA to mini-
jack (standard headphone size) adapter. Plug this cable into external
computer speakers
that have a volume control. Then, turn down the sound on the TV, and
use the
mini-amplifier that comes with the computer speakers to control the volume.
Ordinary headphones plug into the speakers.
Watch your mono and stereo connections on the adapter, as the audio out from
the TV can be mono or stereo. Are there 2 RCA jacks? then it's stereo.
If there's
only 1, it's mono.
If you get it wrong, there will be sound in only one channel.on the
headphones.

Good luck
Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6 http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, April 25-26, 2007

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

--Boundary_(ID_6yNAbSdyQf/wHX0gxhonyA) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> We ran into the same problem.

Since the TVs have an audio out with an RCA jack, you need an RCA to mini-
jack (standard headphone size) adapter.  Plug this cable into external computer speakers
that have a volume control.  Then, turn down the sound on the TV, and use the
mini-amplifier that comes with the computer speakers to control the volume.
Ordinary headphones plug into the speakers.
Watch your mono and stereo connections on the adapter, as the audio out from
the TV can be mono or stereo. Are there 2 RCA jacks? then it's stereo. If there's
only 1, it's mono.
If you get it wrong, there will be sound in only one channel.on the headphones.

Good luck
Susan

McGuire, Dennis wrote:

Message
[...]

--Boundary_(ID_6yNAbSdyQf/wHX0gxhonyA)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.