RE: [Videolib] Academics Get Exemption from DVD Copyright Law

Hornbeck, Patty (hornbeck@middlebury.edu)
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:05:09 -0500

It's never been illegal to reproduce excerpts of copyrighted material for classroom use, but until now it's been illegal to circumvent the CSS protection on the DVDs. Now that we have the exemption, how do we handle the nuts and bolts of actually circumventing the CSS controls on the DVD in order to make the clips? Our technician doesn't know how yet...Any comments or advice would be welcome.
________________________________
Patty Hornbeck
Media Resources Development Coordinator
Middlebury College Library
110 Storrs Ave. / M212
Middlebury, VT 05753
(802)443-2268 ph.
(802)443-5698 fax
hornbeck@middlebury.edu <mailto:hornbeck@middlebury.edu>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Hallman, Philip
Sent: Tue, November 28, 2006 9:51 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Academics Get Exemption from DVD Copyright Law

In case you did not hear this report, below is the link for this story
reported on NPR:

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act made it illegal to reproduce
copyrighted material from DVDs -- even short excerpts. That proved to be
an enormous obstacle to the professors of college film-studies programs,
who wanted to be able to burn discs of selected scenes for their
classes.

Three professors from the University of Pennsylvania asked for an
academic exemption to the law. And surprisingly, they say, it has been
granted. From member station WHYY, Joel Rose reports.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6545255&sc=emaf

Philip Hallman
Film Librarian
Dept. of Screen Arts & Cultures