Re: [Videolib] Looking for films that show Indians in boarding schools

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:50:20 -0800

You may also want to try "Teaching Indians to be White" from Films
for the Humanities & Sciences (http://www.films.com, $89.95 on vhs or
DVD). Their description:

"Schools are where children are taught to integrate into society, and
schools represent a major problem for native children—whether they
are religious schools with native teachers; residential schools,
which tear children away from their families and traditional values
to turn them into the white man’s conception of civilized people; or
public day schools, where native children find it nearly impossible
to balance the white view they are taught in school with the language
and values they learn at home. Result: the Seminole of Florida resist
being integrated, the Miccosukee decided not to fight but to join,
and the Cree took back their own schools. (30 minutes)"

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University