RE: [Videolib] FW: Variety.com - VHS obituary[Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:31:23 -0500

The demise will be the approximate lifespan of a typical VHS player. The
majority of OUR patrons finally gave up on 16mm film when they could no
longer repair/maintain their projectors efficiently. Within the last
month or two, the supply of those cheapo $40 to $60 VHS machines has
dried up, evidenced by the fact that my personal machine at home died
while attempting to preview some recent acquisitions and there were very
few "cheapos" to be found. Ironically, I said to myself, "self, wait for
Christmas sales, to purchase your new machine at a bargain". Hah!!
Retailers won't even be carrying them this year, according to that
obituary.

How bout a prediction on Disney's push to release more "stuff" on
DVD...if there's anything left to be re-re-rereleased!

AND...if you think you will just settle in and assume that you are bound
to DVD, click here:
http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/0,239035801,240091380,00.htm

For those of you that have TiVo, imagine downloading your movies to a
TiVo-like device. TiVo has a regular hard drive to store movies, but
non-moving storage is getting bigger and bigger...a movie on a card the
size of a stamp, or credit card? How many of you said I was out of my
mind and that all this "new techie stuff" was way down the road, well
after we retire? The market won't stand for only one format.

The next generation is rightchyonder.

Mark

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant