Re: [Videolib] need help*blanket PPR policy?

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:47:03 -0500

--B_3246353225_285347563

Um I don=B9t want to be negative just not sure what you are asking for
I assume you mean a set of guidelines as to what would constitute PPR as
opposed to getting
=B3blanket=B2 rights. The thing =B3blanket=B2 is a term usually associated with the
two big companies (MPLC and the SWANK one)
which offer you a large collection of films you can show publicly for a
fixed period of time and fee.
This thing works fine for basic Hollywood entertainment stuff but does not
cover tens of thousands of docs, foreign and independent films

As for the issue of what constitutes PPR , I don=B9t think it is all that
complicated ( but then I am a distributor) and the law is pretty clear
that unless the film is being used in straight face to face instruction i.e=
.
a class, any public use would require a license/permission from
the rights holder. I would hope that any policy would be that if a group or
student or professor wants to show a film publicly they
are responsible for clearing the rights which of course in most cases is
going to mean paying someone. I am sure you can give them
guidance on how to do this but I would think the rest is up to them.

Good Luck

On 11/14/06 11:01 AM, "Andrews, Sarah E" <sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Hi-
> Do any of you at academic libraries have sort of =B3blanket=B2 public perform=
ance
> policies or some set of criteria that you could share with me?
> Or, does anyone have some information on why such a policy won=B9t work?
> =20
> I need some rather urgent help in this area. We have lots of requests on=
our
> campus and a blanket policy is desired by some. (Jessica I know you can =
give
> me a good explanation of why that won=B9t work, but I need some information
> before a meeting tomorrow.)
> =20
> As always, thanks in advance.
> =20
> Sarah Andrews
> Acquisitions Public Services Supervisor
> Acquisitions Department
> University of Iowa Libraries
> 100 Main Library
> Iowa City, IA 52242-1420
> USA
> phone 319-335-5877
> fax 1-319-335-5691
> =20
> =20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3246353225_285347563

Re: [Videolib] need help*blanket PPR policy? Um I = don’t want to be negative just not sure what you are asking for
I assume you mean a set of guidelines as to what would constitute PPR as op= posed to getting
“blanket” rights. The thing “blanket” is a term usu= ally associated with the two big companies (MPLC and the SWANK one)
which offer you a large collection of films you can show publicly for a fix= ed period of time and fee.
This thing works fine for basic Hollywood entertainment stuff but does not = cover  tens of thousands of docs, foreign and independent films

As for the issue of what constitutes PPR , I don’t think it is all th= at complicated ( but then I am a distributor) and the law is pretty clear that unless the film is being used in straight face to face instruction i.e= . a  class, any public use would require a license/permission from