Re: [Videolib] Russian/foreign video

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:54:00 -0400

--B_3244460041_171552024

Well places like Facets & Amazon tend to carry almost every LEGAL European
and or
Russian film available. Russian films in particular have a very high piracy
level. In general be
suspicious of foreign language feature films available from US distributor=
that are NOT otherwise
available from the usual suspects. As previously discussed, there are many
titles you might find
Outside the US to import but you need to be careful that they are legit (
again if you stick to large =B3respectable=B2
places like Amazon.UK or BFI I am sure they are. Also you most legal copies
of foreign language feature
NOT have English titles UNLESS they are from the UK ( or Canada etc).

In general probably 99% of films made outside the US , never obtain legit
distribution IN the US
so as usual there are plenty of titles you will never find legally.

As it happens we do a lot of deals with Mosfilm and have maybe 30 plus
Russian films
( including some new ones) and the piracy on this stuff is nuts. The sales
agent has
been chasing the worst guy for over a decade and at one point the guy
claimed if the
FBI would not press charges he would help them find Osama Bin Laden. You
can=B9t make this stuff up
She did get SOME money out of him but others have taken his place.

Also to be fair the company RUSSICO which reps most of the Mosfilm library
does I am pretty sure
Have a web site but I don=B9t know if the DVDS have English titles but you ca=
google them.

On 10/23/06 2:03 PM, "Steven Harris" <SteHar@library.lib.usu.edu> wrote:

> Give me suggestions of vendors for Russian video, especially feature film=
on
> DVD! =20
> =20
> Alternate question: who is your favorite vendor of European video, especi=
ally
> feature film on DVD?
> =20
> =20
> Steven R. Harris
> Collection Development Librarian
> Utah State University
> (435) 797-3861
> http://cc.usu.edu/~srharris/
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3244460041_171552024

Re: [Videolib] Russian/foreign video Well = places like Facets & Amazon tend to carry almost every LEGAL European an= d or
Russian film available. Russian films in particular have a very high piracy= level. In general be
suspicious of foreign language feature films available from US  distri= butors that are NOT otherwise
available from the usual suspects. As previously discussed, there are many = titles you might find
Outside  the US to import but you need to be careful that they are leg= it ( again if you stick to large “respectable”
places like Amazon.UK or BFI I am sure they are. Also you most legal copies= of foreign language feature
 NOT have English titles UNLESS they are from the UK ( or Canada etc).=

In general probably 99% of films made outside the US , never obtain legit d= istribution IN the US
so as usual there are plenty of titles you will never find legally.

As it happens we do a lot of deals with Mosfilm and have maybe 30 plus Russ= ian films
( including some new ones) and the piracy on this stuff is nuts. The sales = agent has
been chasing the worst guy for over a decade and at one point the guy claim= ed if the
FBI would not press charges he would help them find Osama Bin Laden. You ca= n’t make this stuff up
She did get SOME money out of him but others have taken his place.

Also to be fair the company RUSSICO which reps most of the Mosfilm library = does I am pretty sure
Have a web site but I don’t know if the DVDS have English titles but = you can google them.