Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:15:20 -0400

--B_3244036521_146133237

--B_3244036521_146098551

I honestly don=B9t know. I do know that the GATT treaty which did
retroactively allow most European films
Which had gone PD to reclaim copyright did NOT effect films made before 192=
3
which is the US cut off period
Thus CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI is a PD film in the US though fully
copyrighted in Europe, while METROPOLIS
Is under copyright

On 10/18/06 4:44 PM, "Christopher Lewis" <clewis@american.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. Another little mystery solved. Anybody know wh=
at
> treaty or agreement spells this out?
>=20
> Chris Lewis
> Media Librarian/Acting Assistant University Librarian for Information Ser=
vices
> American University Library
> 202.885.3257
> Stephen Davies <SDavies@mtroyal.ca>
>=20
>=20
> To=20
>=20
> videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>=20
> cc=20
>=20
>=20
> Subject=20
>=20
> Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws regarding clas=
sroom
> use of home-use videos
>=20
>=20
> No, you're governed by the copyright regime in the country of use, not t=
he
> country of origin. In Canada, we purchase a lot of product from the USA =
and
> must always negotiate the performance rights which are required for our
> classrooms, altho they are not required down there. We sometimes have to
> explain to smaller distributors why we need their permission, etc. [And=
they
> aren't all as open-minded as Jessica R!]
> Only a purchase agreement overriding your copyright rights should preven=
t you
> from using an international video as you normally would a domestic video.
>=20
> Stephen Davies=20
> Mount Royal College, Calgary
>=20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3244036521_146098551

Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws regarding= classroom use of home-use videos I hon= estly don’t know. I do know that the GATT treaty which did retroactive= ly allow most European films
Which had gone PD to reclaim copyright did NOT effect films made before 192= 3 which is the US cut off period
Thus CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI  is a PD film in the US though fully copy= righted in Europe, while METROPOLIS
Is under copyright

Thanks for  the responses. Another little mystery = solved. Anybody know what treaty or agreement spells this out?

Chris Lewis
Media Librarian/Acting Assistant University Librarian for Information Servi= ces
American University Library
202.885.3257
Stephen Davies <SDavies@mtroyal.ca&= gt;

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

cc

Subje= ct

Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws regarding classr= oom use of home-use videos
<= BR>
[...]

R0lGODlhEAAQAKECAMzMzAAAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAIALAAAAAAQABAAAAIXlI+py+0Popwx
UbpuZRfKZ2zgSJbmSRYAIf4fT3B0aW1pemVkIGJ5IFVsZWFkIFNtYXJ0U2F2ZXIhAAA7

--B_3244036521_146133237

R0lGODlhEAABAIAAAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAAQAAEAAAIEjI8ZBQA7