Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws regarding

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:28:02 -0700

Chris:
The copyright convention that exists in the country of use, in your case
the U.S.,
is the law that applies to the situation.
U.S. law allows a Home use video to be used in face-to-face teaching,
therefore
the home use video that you bought from a foreign vendor is permissible to
be used in teaching in the U.S.
It is an unfair convention for us in Canada, as we have to buy
public performance rights for face-to-face use, but you, in the U.S. do not
have to do the same.

Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6 http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, April 25-26, 2007

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd