Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:20:25 -0400

--B_3244022426_145287084

Well this is of course a grey area and it would be nice for those of us wh=
do buy rights for overseas films for distribution here
If people did not buy them but I doubt the majority of titles are going to
make it here anyway. In general I don=B9t think there is anything
wrong with classroom use PROVIDED you DO NOT TRANSFER the title to another
format which would of course be illegal
I would urge folks to limit buying such films to titles that to the best of
your knowledge have NOT been released in theaters in the US
Basically I understand buying a title that you have no reason to think is
going to be available in the US any time soon but we often
run into people selling films on eBay etc that we have bought and will
release because it does take AT LEAST 6 months and probably MUCH longer
for US companies to acquire & distribute films so hopefully folks can wait =
bit if they know the film WILL be released in the US.

Canada requires rights for classroom use . I don=B9t believe European
countries do.

On 10/18/06 12:35 PM, "Christopher Lewis" <clewis@american.edu> wrote:

> If a home-use video is purchased from, say, the UK Amazon or Videoflicks =
in
> Canada, it probably shouldn't be used for face-to-face teaching since tha=
> provision isn't included in the copyright laws of the countries where the
> videos originated, correct?
>=20
> We've purchased a fair number of videos from overseas vendors and haven'=
> been restricting them from classroom use but now I'm starting to wonder.
>=20
> Chris Lewis
> Media Librarian/Acting Assistant University Librarian for Information Ser=
vices
> American University Library
> 202.885.3257

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3244022426_145287084

Re: [Videolib] Respecting another country's copyright laws regarding= classroom use of home-use videos Well = this is of course a grey area  and it would be nice for those of us who= do buy rights for overseas films for distribution here
If people did not buy them but I doubt the majority of titles are going to = make it here anyway. In general I don’t think there is anything
wrong with classroom use PROVIDED you DO NOT TRANSFER the title to another = format which would of course be illegal
I would urge folks to limit buying such films to titles that to the best of= your knowledge have NOT been released in theaters in the US
Basically I understand buying a title that you have no reason to think is g= oing to be available in the US any time soon but we often
run into people selling films on eBay etc that we have bought and will rele= ase because it does take AT LEAST 6 months and probably MUCH longer
for US companies to acquire & distribute films so hopefully folks can w= ait a bit if they know the film WILL be released in the US.

Canada requires rights for classroom use . I don’t believe European c= ountries do.