RE: [Videolib] Security cases for DVD/CD

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:23:11 -0500

We are currently using the "discs filed behind the front desk" method to store around 1,500 DVD discs. We simply assign a number to each disc (using small donut labels) and file the discs accordingly. By keeping the discs off of the shelves, it effectively eliminates any loss due to outright theft, but it does add time to the checkout / check-in process.

One of the larger libraries in our system is currently implementing the "red tag" system distributed by Amaray. It looks interesting, but the cost (several dollars per disc vs. $.10 per disc for our current setup) keeps it impractical for us.

Benjamin D. Sprague
-------------------------------
Ripon Public Library
mailto:Sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Edwards, Mary
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:01 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Security cases for DVD/CD

Farhad,

Because we ran out of space too, we recently implemented a new system, and it seems to be working well. We have "display" cases (empty) for the students to browse - this is generally the case the film came in. We put its call number on the spine.

The students choose the video they want to check out (they can only check out one at a time) and bring the "display" case to the desk. In our media cabinet (in a room behind the circ desk), we have the corresponding "live" disc in an envelope with a label that has call number and film name at the top. The DVD's are filed by call number. Our student workers pull the envelope with the disc(s) and check the disc(s) out to the student. They place the DVD in a case with a hot pink wrapper we made up stating that the film is our property and also has the fines policy on the back. We put a due date slip in there too. Since we've got a ton of leftover DVD cases from our previous method of storage, we've had no extra expense with them.

For boxed sets, we break up the sets (e.g., TV shows, cartoon series, collections of films by a director, etc.) and make separate "display" cases and "envelopes" for each as if they were single films. They are checked out one at a time (better to lose one than a whole set if it's not returned!). If the multiples are because there is both a film and extra features disc, we keep those together and check them both out. For these, we tape the envelopes together to make a set.

We also have some films that are library use only. Instead of putting them in a pink case, we put them in a yellow case that is kept sensitized and has "Library Use Only" on it.

We file the envelopes and the "display" cases for the checked out films at the circ desk.

We stopped putting 3M overlays on the DVD's because they were causing skipping or read failure. We just put a barcode on the DVD. For double sided discs, we put a barcode on the front of the envelope and write the barcode on the innermost ring of the DVD with a permanent sharpie in case they need to be matched up with their envelope. We also put the last 5 digits of the barcode at the lower right corner of the envelope.

This all sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but we have student workers helping out on the labelling and such, so it's not that bad. We have a collection of about 3,000 videos and a student population of about 2,000, so we're admittedly smallish

BTW, I've found a pretty good price on the envelopes and DVD cases from a company called Uline. In this go-round I'm just using the cheapest type of envelope, if they don't wear well, I'll move up to the more expensive ones. The labels for the envelopes are just plain ol' Avery 5160 sized-labels. Regular spine labels.

Good luck!

Mary Edwards
Director of Library Services
Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
Argosy University - Santa Monica
2900 31st Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310-314-6154