RE: [Videolib] Security cases for DVD/CD

Edwards, Mary (meedwards@aii.edu)
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:01:10 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6EE17.CC0DB942

=20

Farhad,

=20

Because we ran out of space too, we recently implemented a new system,
and it seems to be working well. We have "display" cases (empty) for
the students to browse - this is generally the case the film came in.
We put its call number on the spine.

=20

The students choose the video they want to check out (they can only
check out one at a time) and bring the "display" case to the desk. In
our media cabinet (in a room behind the circ desk), we have the
corresponding "live" disc in an envelope with a label that has call
number and film name at the top. The DVD's are filed by call number.
Our student workers pull the envelope with the disc(s) and check the
disc(s) out to the student. They place the DVD in a case with a hot
pink wrapper we made up stating that the film is our property and also
has the fines policy on the back. We put a due date slip in there too.
Since we've got a ton of leftover DVD cases from our previous method of
storage, we've had no extra expense with them.

=20

For boxed sets, we break up the sets (e.g., TV shows, cartoon series,
collections of films by a director, etc.) and make separate "display"
cases and "envelopes" for each as if they were single films. They are
checked out one at a time (better to lose one than a whole set if it's
not returned!). If the multiples are because there is both a film and
extra features disc, we keep those together and check them both out.
For these, we tape the envelopes together to make a set.

=20

We also have some films that are library use only. Instead of putting
them in a pink case, we put them in a yellow case that is kept
sensitized and has "Library Use Only" on it.

=20

We file the envelopes and the "display" cases for the checked out films
at the circ desk.

=20

We stopped putting 3M overlays on the DVD's because they were causing
skipping or read failure. We just put a barcode on the DVD. For double
sided discs, we put a barcode on the front of the envelope and write the
barcode on the innermost ring of the DVD with a permanent sharpie in
case they need to be matched up with their envelope. We also put the
last 5 digits of the barcode at the lower right corner of the envelope.

=20

This all sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but we have student
workers helping out on the labelling and such, so it's not that bad. We
have a collection of about 3,000 videos and a student population of
about 2,000, so we're admittedly smallish

=20

BTW, I've found a pretty good price on the envelopes and DVD cases from
a company called Uline. In this go-round I'm just using the cheapest
type of envelope, if they don't wear well, I'll move up to the more
expensive ones. The labels for the envelopes are just plain ol' Avery
5160 sized-labels. Regular spine labels.

=20

Good luck!

=20

Mary Edwards

Director of Library Services

Art Institute of California - Los Angeles

Argosy University - Santa Monica

2900 31st Street

Santa Monica, CA 90405

310-314-6154