Re: [Videolib] Film Collection Assessment Query

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:31:17 -0400

I have several requests, so I'm sending my results to the list:

Poynter Library
USF St. Petersburg
Video Collection Survey
2005

Fifty-four (54) surveys were returned and analyzed to determine present
satisfaction with, and future needs for the USF St. Petersburg Poynter
Libraryıs audio-video collection. Below is a summary of findings from this
survey conducted from May 2005 to June 2005.

Demographics of surveyed population: Fifty-six percent (30/54) respondents
were USFSP students; twenty-four percent (13/54) were USFSP faculty;
thirteen percent (7/54) were USFSP staff; seven percent (4/54) were members
of the community (Fig. 1a).

Video-Collection Use: Recipients borrowed from the video collection an
average twenty (20) times a year (about several times per month). On
average, students borrowed several times a semester; faculty and staff
borrowed several times a month and community members borrowed weekly (Fig.
1b).

Figure 1: Percent of borrowers and frequency of borrowing by type of
borrower. Students were the most frequent borrowers by generated the least
number of borrowing events per person per year. In contrast, community
members were the least frequent borrowers, but generated the most borrowing
events per person per year.

Technology Owned and Borrowed: Eighty-five percent of recipients (45/53)
owned both a VCR player and a DVD player. Seven and one-half percent owned a
VCR only (4/53). Likewise, seven and one-half percent owned a DVD player
only (4/53). Of this group, students and staff were the only exclusive
borrowers of DVDs (52% and 43% respectively). Fifty-one percent of
recipients (27/53) borrowed both video tapes and DVDs. Thirty-four percent
borrowed only DVDs (18/53). Fifteen percent borrowed only video tapes
(8/53). There was a significant correlation between the technology that
respondents owned and the type of technology that they borrowed (R2 = 16%; p
= 0.003).

Convenience of One-Week Lending time: Eighty-one and one-half percent
(44/54) recipients felt that a one-week lending time was convenient. The
remaining eighteen and one-half percent (10/54) wanted an increase of two
weeks to one semester lending time. Of this group, staff and community
members were 100% satisfied with the one-week lending time. Thus, only
students and faculty wanted longer lending times.

Type of Videos Borrowed: The most popular video types borrowed were
Documentaries, New films, Foreign films and Classic films. The least
borrowed were Childrenıs videos. The ³Other² category of films/videos
borrowed included: Musicals, Science Fiction, Science, Informational and
Opera. There was no difference among students, faculty, staff or community
members in the number of different types of videos borrowed. On average,
respondents borrowed five different types of videos (Table 1).

Table 1: Type of video and percent of respondents borrowing them.

Video Type %
Documentary 65
New Films 65
Classic Films 44
Foreign films 44
Classroom/Instructional 39
History 37
Feature film 35
Animated films 24
Travel 20
Music 19
Plays 17
Childrenıs films 11
Other 11

Respondent Satisfaction: Seventy percent of respondents agreed or strongly
agreed that they usually found the exact title for which they were looking.
Eighty-three percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that they
usually found the type of video for which they were looking. One hundred
percent of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that videos were a valuable
part of the library collection. Ninety percent of respondents agreed or
strongly agreed that the library should continue to collect both DVDs and
VHS videos. Only thirty-nine percent of recipients agreed or strongly agreed
that only DVDs should be collected. Only thirty-seven percent agreed or
strongly agreed that the borrowing time should be lengthened. There was no
statistical difference among students, faculty and staff in how they
answered the questions (ANOVA details upon request).

Type of Videos Needed to Add to Collection: The most popular video types
requested to add to the collection were New films, Documentaries, Foreign
films, History and Classic films. The ³Other² category included requess for:
Comedians, Gay and Lesbian films, Independent films, PBS, BBC, A&E, Science,
Environment, Science fiction (Table 2).

Table 2: Type of video and percent of respondents requesting them.

Video Type %
New Films 52
Documentary 41
Foreign films 33
Classic Films 26
History 26
Classroom/Instructional 20
Feature film 20
Travel 11
Animated films 6
Music 6
Childrenıs films 4
Plays 2
Other 13

Faculty Comments:

This could be a really great library, but itıs frustrating not to be able to
find videos when I need them!

Our library rocks (that means awesome) for its VCR/DVD collection. Very
cutting edge, very user friendly.

Iım happy with what you have. The Tampa campus could be better about time
limits, however, esp. for faculty using films for teaching purposes.

More foreign films/Middle-east and South Asia?

Staff Comments:

Great selection.

More shelf reading‹Great collection of media.

More History

Community Comments:

The collections of audio and video/DVD are improving very noticeably in the
past twelve months. I would like to see more‹media & political analysis
content like ­ Chomsky, ME Foundation, Annemberg, ETCŠAlso more audio tapes
from knowledge products inc. Classic Books on audio DC or tapes and more
audio. CD on philosophy great thinkers such as Adam Smith ³Wealth of
Nations², John Locke, EtcŠSome of the audio tapes are worn out or
incomplete. More media on economics and public policy. ­ People ask me why I
rarely ³check-out² books. I have so much to do that they new technology
DVDS/VHS ­ audio tapes etcŠare more suitable for me‹cause I can multi-task
while viewing or listening. P.S. All in allŠthe Poynter Library has improved
the quality of my life and has empowered me, economically, politically,
spiritually and even improved my health.

Student Comments:

One week is a perfect amount of time!!

Excellent!!! Was very glad to have discovered the collection. Itıs a hidden
jewel!!!

Great Department collection

This library does have a great collection; there are only a few videos I
canıt find.

My only criticism is that often the videos are out of order on the shelves.
Currently there is a great deal of variety in the collection, which is
great. Would love to see more classic films form the 40ıs and 50ıs.

Would be great if the libraries could collect the films in their original
unedited format.

I would like to see more Werner Herzog (Political, Educational,
Environmental, Documentaries).

I would really like this library to have new release films.

Iım happy with the collection, but itıs always nice to have more to choose
from.

More on religious studies

I would like to see the library expand its audio book collection, as well as
the addition of audio books in DVDs.

I can find in the catalog what I need‹actually finding the tape is a
nightmare.

Many times it can be difficult to find a film because they become out of
order. Also Iıve been searching for one film that is supposed to be in but
is never there.

Registered for fall in MBA program but not allowed to borrow in summer!
Whatıs up with that! Each semester, tuition is $2000+ but canıt borrow!
Policy sucks!!